How to get NDIS funding for Supported Independent Living

How to get NDIS funding for Supported Independent Living

Do you dream about being able to move out and live independently?

At Endeavour Foundation, we know how important this goal is for many people with disability. As a leader in Supported Independent Living, we've helped hundreds of people turn their independent living dreams into reality.

Moving out of your family home can be both exciting and daunting. It is a big step for both you and your family. If it is your first time, getting funding for disability accommodation through the NDIS can seem like a difficult process.

We’ve put together some tips below to help you get started.

What is Supported Independent Living?

Supported Independent Living (SIL) is just one type of support available in your home. It is best suited for people who need daily help with life tasks like cooking or cleaning.

SIL is offered by the NDIS to people with disability who choose to live outside their family home. It is shared accommodation, which means you won’t have to be on your own. You’ll have friendly and supportive roommates who also have disability.

The accommodation can be accessed by anyone with SIL included in their NDIS plan. There are many kinds of support available and people who can help you. Remember that the NDIS will only fund supports deemed reasonable and necessary.

You can use the NDIS Would We Fund It guide to find out what kind of home and living support you may be able to receive.

How to get NDIS funding for independent living support

1. Provide supporting evidence for your request

To request independent living support, you need to complete a Supporting evidence form on the NDIS website.

You should complete the above form in one of the following ways:

The form will help you to select the correct option based on your current needs. Bring it to your scheduled plan reassessment or request it from your planner if you need help.

2. Submit your request to the NDIS

Once you have completed the form, you will need to submit it to the NDIS in one of the following ways:

  • Send the form via email to
  • Post it to: NDIA, GPO Box 700, Canberra ACT 2601
  • Give it in person to your local NDIS or partner office

Include all relevant information, including any assessments (OT functional capacity assessment - SIL & SDA) or letters from health professionals.

Remember, if you want to submit this before your scheduled plan reassessment, you must do it within 100 days of your plan end date. This will ensure the NDIA have all the information they need early and reduce the need to request additional information.

Do you need a Support Coordinator to help you?

People who receive SIL may also have funding for a Support Coordinator. This comes under the Capacity Building budget and is a fixed amount for a Support Coordinator who can help you use your plan.

Your funding is based on what is “reasonable and necessary” to pursue your goals. This is in addition to the support provided by family, friends, and other community and government services.

If you don’t already have support coordination included in your plan, you will need to show the NDIS why you need it.

For example, you may be:

  • Going through a significant life change
  • Not have family or friends with the time or knowledge to help you find the right service providers
  • New to the NDIS with your first plan

Not everyone can get funding for support coordination. Your best chance is to speak to your Local Area Coordinator about including it in your plan. Be sure to include all the reasons why it is reasonable and necessary.

How to request funding for support coordination

To request a Support Coordinator on the NDIS, you need to request a change of situation form. If you are within 100 days of your plan start or finish date, you can ask for a plan review.

You can request a change of situation or review of a decision in the following ways:

  • Submit a written request to: Chief Executive Officer. National Disability Insurance Agency. GPO Box 700. Canberra ACT 2601
  • Talk to someone at an NDIA office
  • Call the NDIA National Call Centre on 1800 800 110
  • Send an email to

Find Supported Independent Living near you

To find out how SIL can work for you, visit our web page to make an enquiry and find a location closest to you.

Have a question? You can get in touch with us by calling 1800 112 112 to speak to one of our NDIS experts or email

Subscribe to our newsletter to stay up to date