Confused about Supported Independent Living (SIL)?

18 March 2021

Accessing home services under the NDIS can be a complicated thing.

We get tons of questions about how it all works. In this blog we’re going to answer those questions as best we can.

This is such a big topic we’ve had to cover it off in two blogs. Our other blog “What is Supported Independent Living (SIL)” answers:

  • What’s the difference between Supported independent living (SIL) and Specialist Disability Accommodation (SDA)?
  • How do I get Supported Independent Living (SIL) funding?
  • What kind of supports are offered in Supported Independent Living?
  • How does the Supported Independent Living funding work?
  • Is there a difference between Supported Accommodation and Supported Independent Living (SIL)?
  • Why is it so hard to find a SIL house?
  • Can you use your SIL funding in your own home or private rental?

So if you’re looking for the answers to those questions, make sure you check out that blog first.

If you’re looking for the answer to a different question, keep reading.


Do you have any disability housing vacancies near me?

Best way to check this is to head along to our vacancies page.

See vacancies

We provide housing to hundreds of Australians with disability in Queensland, so if you call the sunshine state home there’s a very good chance we have something near you.

We are also launching an initiative called My Home, My Life. This initiative will see more than $35m invested in refurbishing existing homes and building new accessible homes over three years.

You can submit an expression of interest for one of these new or renovated homes here.


What do the acronyms mean?

If you’re new to the game it can be a bit confusing. Actually, even if you’ve been in this space for a while it can still be confusing.

But while you’re here, here’s a quick run-down:

  • SIL = Supported Independent Living
  • SDA = Specialist Disability Accommodation
  • SC = Support Coordinator
  • STA = Short Term Accommodation (used to be called respite)


What does the NDIS pay for, and what do I personally pay for?

This is another great question, and it has a relatively simple answer.

Would someone without disability be expected to pay for it? If so, chances are that it won’t be covered under the NDIS. The NDIS is designed to make sure that people don’t have to pay more for their homes because of their disability. In most instances, you will pay for rent and board, because someone without disability would be expected to pay for these costs out of their own money.

The NDIS funding for home services is called Supported Independent Living (SIL) and Specialist Disability Accommodation (SDA). Supported Independent Living is the funding for support services, and the Specialist Disability Accommodation is the physical accommodation in which those services are delivered.


What is covered by rent and board?

Here’s a table that shows what typical living costs are included in “Rent and Board”.


Not covered


Independent activities outside of the house

Household groceries

Medications/medicated or specialised groceries

Bills (including internet)

Personal subscriptions (like Netflix)

Basic kitchen appliances

Specialised kitchen appliances

Furniture in shared spaces

Furniture in your bedroom

Shared devices (like a TV)

Personal devices


How much does rent and board cost at Endeavour Foundation?

For the latest information, it’s best to get in touch with us.

Contact us

We do our absolute best to make rent and board as affordable as possible. Our rent and board costs are never more than the base DSP amount.


How does it work for meals and cooking?

Great question!

This is something that differs from house to house. This is because different houses have different preferences. The decision on how this works is one that’s made by the housemates.

Most housemates choose to meal plan, shop, cook and eat together. Sometimes they like to make a roster and sometimes it’s a whole group effort. Dietary requirements and allergies are always factored in. While support is always readily available, it’s the housemates that get to make these decisions, not the support staff.

Of course, if someone in the house prefers to do their own shopping and cooking, that is perfectly fine and the house will most likely be able to cater to this.


I see that it says 24/7 support, what does this actually mean?

All our houses offer 24/7 support. This means that there is always someone in the house to help you out if you need it. We want you to feel safe and supported.

Some people hear 24/7 support and imagine staff in your space the whole time but this is very much not the case. The staff are there when you need them, but are very aware of giving you privacy and independence.


How does it work with household group activities?

We get this question a lot! It depends on whether the whole house is doing the activity or not.

If the whole house is doing the activity:

If the whole house is going out to do an activity, the support costs for that activity would theoretically be covered under Supported Independent Living funding.

If not everyone is doing the activity:

If some people in the house are wanting to do an activity, but others don’t, the activity most likely won’t be covered under Supported Independent Living (SIL) funding. This is because the Supported Independent Living supports are primarily based in the home, and if there are any housemates in the home the support staff member would need to remain there.

That’s not to say that the housemates can’t do that activity though. It would mean that they would have to use some of their other NDIS funding for community access.


Can I still use my own support worker?

Absolutely! Here’s how that works:

If the support worker is NOT being paid from your Supported Independent Living (SIL) funding:

You can use any support worker you like. This is often the case for things like community access. The support worker does not need to be an Endeavour Foundation employee, even if the support is taking place inside the house.

If the support worker is being paid from your Supported Independent Living (SIL) funding:

It will be an Endeavour Foundation employee supporting you.


What are the housemates like?

The best way to find out is to get in touch!

We don’t put any identifying information online to protect privacy, but we can chat to you in general terms if there’s a particular house you have your eye on.

We make sure you have plenty of opportunities to meet the housemates before you move in. As part of the Supported Independent Living process, you will complete a trial. This trial is a great opportunity to see how well you all get along before you decide to move in.

Getting along with your housemates is such an important thing, and we always make sure the house dynamics work for everyone who lives there.


If I move in and want to go to a Learning and Lifestyle Centre too, how do I get there?

Our Learning and Lifestyle hubs have safe transport options available. When they mapped out the transport routes they made sure that all the Endeavour Foundation houses were included in this plan.


I have a different question that you haven’t answered…

We would love to know!

You can get in touch with us by calling 1800 112 112 or emailing

Contact us to find out how we can support you


Other blogs and information you maybe interested in

When moving out of home is the best for your child with disability

If your child has a disability, it can be even more difficult to let go. But as we have discovered from talking to many parents, when your child is ready, and the right supports are in place, there are plenty of positives to finding a place they can call their own.

Endeavour daily living skills

Your guide to achieving daily living skills

You might have heard the phrase ‘daily living skills’ – but what does this actually mean?

In this blog we take a look at what daily living skills are, and how you can get help with them.

Endeavour support worker

What it’s really like being a disability support worker

We had a chat with Kylea Hughston, a Disability Support Worker who has been in the disability industry for two years. Here, she shares insight into the role, what an average day looks like and why she believes it’s an ideal career choice.

8 ways to make friends when you have a disability

We noticed a heartbreaking statistic nestled on page 241 of the NDIS' latest quarterly report. Of the NDIS participants surveyed, 33% of people aged 25 and over said they did not have a friend outside of family and paid supports. If this is you, and you've stumbled across this blog - welcome, we are happy to have you here and hope we can help.

Accessible housing shortage: What we’re doing

It’s true, Specialist Disability Accommodation (SDA) is funded by the NDIS. The problem is, there is not enough suitable accommodation available.

Disability diagnosis

Disability diagnosis: why it’s so important to get it right

Getting a correct disability diagnosis can take a lot of time, money and paperwork, but it is one of the best things you can do to make the most of your NDIS plan. Your disability support providers can only provide supports that you have funding for. If a diagnosis isn’t quite right, this can sometimes mean that people miss out on the services they need.